Risks involving with Induction Hardened Pieces
(The following issues have high risk of deformation)
- There is a high risk of deformation in the products that are not normalized.
- A high risk of deformation may happen, if products such as shaft have key hole.
- Deformation may happen when the pieces like guides,bearings, etc. hardened forn one side if the cross section of pieces are not thick enough.
(The following issues have high risk of cracking)
- Casting parts (Especially parts that are not normalized and have cracks on their surface. Also, parts that have casting cavities.)
- At the welded areas.
- Sharp corners and cross section changing regions
- At the dead-end holes that are very close to the surface
- Using a different product instead of the declared one.
- Due to past heat treatment processes (depanding on the material and its geometry)
- Defects may happen such as inclusions, etc., if the material is forged by inadequate temperature.
- In rolled materials defects may happen such as inclusions, etc. during the rolling process
Circumstances in which Induction Heat Treatment is not adviced.
- The metals which are made from materials that are not suitable for induction heat treatment.
Cold Work Steels
1.2379 (X155CrVMo12 1)
1.2550 (60WCrV 7)
1.2767 (X45NiCrMo 4)
1.2842 (90MnCrV 8)
Hot Work Steels
1.2343 (X38CrMoV 5 1)
1.2344 (X40CrMoV 5 1)
1.2365 (X32CrMoV 3 3)
1.2714 (56NiCrMoV 7)
- Ultra Low Carbon Steel – Free Cutting Steel
The ratio of lead is elevated in low carbon steels for making shavings more brittle in order to increase machinabiliy.
Free Cutting Steel
9 S 20
9 SMn 28
9 SMnPb 28
9S Mn 36
Low Carbon Steel
C 10 (1010)
C 15 (1015)
*The metals that are not suitable for induction heat treatment are not limited to the above list. For more information, please contact Termo Indiksiyon.
If it is demanded to apply induction heat treatment to low carbon metals (that are not suitable for induction), the metal (all of it or only the part that will go through hardening) must go through cementation process to reach a certain carbon level. Please, contact Termo Indüksiyon for detailed information.
- Threaded sections of parts
- Casting parts that are not normalized
- Pre heat treatment in some parts in (Ex: GGG60 material, etc.)